Saturday, April 2, 2011

Favorite Quote

I'm sitting at my computer and the house is quiet. The 2 girls have gone with their Aunt and my son has gone with his dad. It's not often that there are these moments of silence in my house. Usually there is at least one person talking to me. But not tonight!

Because of this quietness, I am thinking about all the things that I can do, but probably shouldn't because I have other things I SHOULD do. It reminded me of a quote by G. K. Chesterton, "Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."

That's kind of how I feel about all the things I SHOULD do. Most of them are luxuries to me. Now this may seem a little backwards, but bear with me for a minute. How long is that list of things that I HAVE to do. I can think of about six things right now: fold laundry, make some dinner, edit at least one of the two stories I have, clean up the kitchen, clean off my desk and do some bills. Out of all that, I can think of one that sounds the least bit exciting...editing.

But what do I really want to do? I want to read. I want to pick up my nook and read a book. My library list is long and made up mostly of fiction. I love fiction, mysteries especially. Why? Because it's not my life. Not that my life is all that terrible, but it is made up of things that I HAVE to do.

So all of the things I HAVE to do are luxuries, maybe not the normal definition of luxury, but a creative definition. To me, the things I WANT to do are necessities because it makes those things I HAVE to do that much easier. So the things I WANT to do are necessities to keep my sanity. Do you follow? Maybe its confusing, but if you could be in my head, you would totally understand.

To me, its the fiction parts of life that keep me going. The times I get to sit down and play games, read a book, watch my favorite show or movie, or hang out with people I care about. Those are the fiction parts of life that help me move on to the luxuries or the necessities.

So I'm going to go close this post, fix me a sandwich, fold the laundry that's on my bed and pull out my nook and read. Reading is the perfect way to end the day and get me ready for the next. Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment